About Me

My photo
Crete, Greece
Married to the lovely Geoffrey, my soulmate. I have two fantastic big kids,both married, whom I love and miss every day I'm not with them, but I know they're living and loving their lives and we make up for time when we get together.I now have three granddaughters too...

Sunday 31 May 2009

Busman's Holiday

As this is photograghically heavy (what's new!!I hear you shout..)
I'll try to keep the blurb to a minimum, yes, I said try...
As you know Geoff works throughout the summer months driving a Land Rover on the Jeep Safaris. Considering we are in a recession, we've been very surprise at the amount of people who have been on the trip during May.
He loves it, showing people a wild and beautiful part of where we live, which most tourists would not normally see. So it's no surprise, that he wanted to take me up there, on his day off..
This is Katharo, a plateau above Kritsa.
Now, you have to remember looking at the photos, we are at a height that is, higher than Snowdonia.....
The whole of the plateau at the moment is awash no, ablaze, with colour. It's stunning and I'm so glad we went. I only hope you get some idea of the colour and diversity of wild flowers in bloom now. The most prolific at the moment is the vetch, which is from the pea family. We saw trucks brimming over with it being driven down the mountain roads to feed the sheep and goats on the coast. You can also see poppies, gladiolii,chamomile. If you want a closer view just click each photo.

We also spied one of the few orchids left of the season, pyramidal orchid.
Dewi chased tadpoles in some of the water that is still trickling down the mountainside from the remaining spots of snow,
This is Mount Dikti, yes, there's still snow up there!!

It's a shame my camera has not got all the singing and dancing lens of others. If it had, I could have shown you the dozens of larks or the choughs that were flying around making such sweet music.
We also saw 12 griffon vultures circling around. I'll try to get a photo sometime but most of the time they are up in the thermals looking out for lunch.

I tried to convince myself that walking for 2 hours up there, at altitude!!, does more for me than my daily walks down in Houmeriakos but I think I'm kidding myself.
It was so much cooler up there, that's why some families have summer homes up there. The shepherds also bring their herds of sheep and goats to graze on the lush grass that is lacking in the summer months on lower ground. There are also small orchards of apples and pears too.
It's a small place though, as we were driving off the plateau, we met the lovely Sandy (of the beautiful quilts, cushions and efilumps) and her husband Chris taking in the views with their friends.

Hey, guess what??
That was the morning...
want to see what happened in the afternoon??
Maybe tomorrow............

25 comments:

arosebyanyothername said...

Such beautiful pictures. We used to have wild flower meadows in the U.K. similar to these once.
I do not know Crete but we have spent several holidays in Cyprus which is similar and has the same floral habitats. You are lucky indeed, but then it is obvious that you appreciate what you have and share the joy with others.

Chris Daly said...

What a beautiful site. I can only imagine how breathtaking it is in person. Your husband is a lucky man to have such a wonderful job.

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Jude, I absolutely love the beautiful wildflower photos that you shared with us. What a pleasure to experience your views...thanks for sharing. I imagine going to Crete would be nice but to know someone who enjoys inside knowledge about a place is a such treasure.

I'm happy that you are feeling better and continue your walks. I had a wonderful walk around the lagoon in Condado (near San Juan, Puerto Rico) late yesterdy afternoon. I felt so energized and inspired by the connection to nature. (quite a contrast to the bout of flu we have all had)
Take care! <3

Unknown said...

Hi Jude, No idea which gorge it was way out in the wilderness. I just followed Steve on his motorbike. I don't think there was enough to gather and it's protected anyway, but I am sure you could buy some leaves from Sakis at BioAroma - he has loads of it growing outside the essential oils factory. Or you could buy it ready dried from him. Its organic and very reasonably priced. He is also doing Dittany Essential Oil. Enough of the plug for Sakis!!! Will put this comment on your blog if I can work out how to do it. Think I might have managed it.

Frances said...

Hello Jude,

I have never before seen pictures of Crete showing the beauty that yours always deliver. Thank you so very much for showing me the marvelous place where you live.

I really had no idea of the variety of terrain, or of the many gorgeous flowers.

Best wishes!

Pondside said...

No wonder Geoff wants to take you up there on his day off. It's spectacular - the colours of the wildflowers, and the hills - just the kind of terrain that I love.
Let's see what you did for the afternoon.........

maddie said...

You truly lucky person. What a place and such glorious pictures. Glad you're back home. Missed hearing about life in sunny Crete. We are off to Ithaca in a few weeks' time and I can't wait. x

Kimberly said...

I have missed looking at this blog! Jude, I agree w/everyone these are absolutely beautiful and you are one lucky lady. :)

Art Space Gallery said...

Thanks for the feast of flowers Jude - they're such a pleasure to look at. I didn't know that Crete has snow capped mountains! BFN.

Lesley

Cait O'Connor said...

I can only say Wow! Thank you so much - truly magical. And for the info on Crete, many thanks.

menopausalmusing said...

Jude, when I saw those photos I just had to call His Nibs in from the garden to look....... wonderful! x

Maria Verivaki said...

hi jude - yes, answer straight onto the post!

Jackie said...

The third picture, viewed large, is gorgeous. What a fabulous place.

Mim said...

awesome pictures! what a great morning

Cheryl said...

Gorgeous little morning! Thanks for sharing. I LOVE the wildflowers of Greece. Have a nice week!

Lynn Cohen said...

Wow. I just imagined your DH on his tour of duty with tourists thinking I have to bring Jude up here to see all this beauty. He wanted to share it with you. So sweet!!!!!!!!!!!! It is awesome to see. Thanks for sharing.

My word is: looke! LOL

Jenny said...

How beautiful Jude!

Julia Jones said...

I think the Cretans would say Dittany O. dictamnus helps with everything! Goats eat it and I've never seen a fat goat here :-) so maybe it could. Make sure you are picking the right species when you dry stuff. I'm sure you do, but, for instance, not every Hypericum St John's Wort is suitable for ingesting. Needs to be Hypericum perfoliatum which is rare on Crete. Not sure about the chamomile, but some that look like Chamomile are actually Mayweed or Daisy. As I say, I'm sure you've checked it out, but people need to be careful. There is a herb here that looks like Angelica and I originally thought it was. Turns out it's highly toxic and if I'd used it, it would have killed me!!

MyCretanlife said...

You did have a lovely day didn't you. Enjoyed our night out too. See you soon.

Katiejane said...

It is simply stunning where you live. Thank you for bringing it to me. I love looking at places far away and learning how people there live. This is so neat!
P.S., I'm also glad you got your blog figured out so you can post more photos at a time. :)

Yvette said...

thank you for sharing this beauty

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are beautiful. I just love wild flowers.

CJ xx

periwinkle said...

WOW, stunning pics and those flowers are just gorgeous. I wish we had meadows like that here - maybe one day we'll get to your beautiful island to see this in the flesh - so to speak..

Calico Kate said...

Beautiful phots Jude, stunning flowers. They would make me sneeze so hard! So I prefer the pix :)
CKx
Word verithingy is 'thicalm' so apt

Unknown said...

Oh my you get those Pyramid Orchids at Gwithian, very rare here, but loads on the sand dunes.

All looks so wonderful, we will have to save some holiday to see you at home next year