About Me

My photo
Crete, Greece
Married to the lovely Geoffrey, my soulmate. I have two fantastic big kids,both married, whom I love and miss every day I'm not with them, but I know they're living and loving their lives and we make up for time when we get together.I now have three granddaughters too...

Wednesday, 4 May 2011

Dragon Arum...again!!

You may know already, if you've been following my blog for a while,
how much I love these plants...

and this year, maybe because of the rain we've had, they are in profusion admidst the olive groves.

so, I thought they deserved a whole post to themselves.....

Yes, I know they are rather phallic

but it's the wonderful, deep, velvety colour, so fabric .

The latin name is Dracunculus Vulgaris

So velvety, and the colour is stunning

and

so

SO.......

smelly!!

(like rotting flesh!!!)
so much for perfection!!

Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Sue said...

Good heavens! They are spectacular. Phallic is ok with me but the 9th pic down looks rather female!

By the way my daughter can never find any of her belongings and I am constantly citing the state of her room as the reason.

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Great post Jude - I'm in complete agreement with you and could get lost in the wonderful colour and textures captured in these photos! Beautiful and no bad smell in blogland either! x

Lynn said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. I too saw female features as well as male. Just beautiful. Wow!!!!!!!!!!

Menopausal musing said...

They are truly incredible, aren't they? What a place to live..... and I laughed at the comment re "no smell in blogland "

Twiglet said...

Yes definitely something a bit male/female about them but that's nature for you! I love that purply colour.

do you mind if i knit said...

EXTRAORDINARY flowers!!!!!!!!!!! Everything about them is like a grand tragic opera! I hope you get better soon Jude, take care.
Love Vanessa xxx

andamento said...

Hmm, certainly very dramatic looking and a lovely purple colour, but I think I prefer bluebells myself!

arosebyanyothername said...

Yes. I bought one of these as a bulb in Amsterdam as a bulb and when it flowered I thought it very lovely until I caught the pong!

arosebyanyothername said...

Well, that's what happens when you type after a couple of glasses of vino.

Doreen said...

gorgeous and very unusual plant. glad you shared it! and I guess glad I can't smell in blogland........ :-)

Doreen said...

question...... is the smell so bad it is hard to get close for a photo?

Clicky Needles said...

I've got an Arum in my garden. Known to the family as the stinky plant!

It's just about coming into flower now.
http://clickyneedles.blogspot.com/2010/06/sunday-13th-june-augusta-wrap-ta-dah.html