About Me

My photo
Crete, Greece
Married to the lovely Geoffrey, my soulmate. I have two fantastic big kids,both married, whom I love and miss every day I'm not with them, but I know they're living and loving their lives and we make up for time when we get together.I now have three granddaughters too...

Tuesday 12 August 2008

Gardening Club

Last Sunday was our monthly Gardening Club meeting.
It's a bit of fun and helps many of us who have no experience of growing things in this climate.
Also some of us are wondering what to do with those olive trees, orange trees, lemon trees, almonds, pomegranates etc. When do you water, prune,feed??
Geoff and I try to grow plants, flowers and vegetables that are drought friendly. I don't agree with growing things that need too much water when we live on an island that hasn't had rain since May. I certainly can't understand why anybody would try or even want a lawn here. But some do, you see them watering morning, noon and night, wasting precious gallons.
Anyway, so a group of us meet in a lovely taverna in a small village called Panagia in the Lakonia area.
We've had talks on various subjects which included bee keeping, and teaching art. We've been on a trip to a pottery in the Thrapsano region where they throw those wonderful Cretan pots for the garden.
This month's meeting was eclectic, discussing organising another trip, maybe to the observatory or the aquarium. I asked everybody if they would e-mail me their favourite seasonal recipes so Russell and myself could have a go at making a calendar.
Of course to end the afternoon we have to stop and have some mezedes and a drop of wine.

No comments: