About Me

My photo
Crete, Greece
Married to the lovely Geoffrey, my soulmate. I have two fantastic big kids,both married, whom I love and miss every day I'm not with them, but I know they're living and loving their lives and we make up for time when we get together.I now have three granddaughters too...

Friday 25 July 2008

Allotment











Obviously, not in the right order, but some moments in our first steps into growing our own vegetables.
We are now entering the Cretan Winter.. most vegetables have died but we've been very pleased with our first crops of tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes, sweetcorn, potatoes, aubergines, onions, beetroot,peanuts (not enough to make peanut butter, but a good start) radish, lettuce, strawberries, basil, parsley, celery, melons, carrots.........
We'll now rotivate again, that's Geoff's favourite piece of equipment, feed the soil and replant again in August.
We are lucky we have a well near us that we share with 2 other allotment owners, otherwise we would be paying for agricultural water. We made a watering system from black piping which saved alot of back-breaking pulling of buckets from the well.
That lovely looking yellow flower is the bane of all growers here, many names, oxalis, Bermudan Buttercup. It takes over everything and is very difficult to get rid of.




2 comments:

Jackie said...

You've been very busy posting, sewing and gardening. Jean de Florette springs to mind. Hope you have more success than he did without water.

Anonymous said...

A pic of the peanut bush would be good to see, but I think you have pulled thm all up now? I learnt the other day that they are legumes, not nuts. Looking forward to Dec...